Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Mid Winter's Dream - Sweet Freedom Living Allergen Free


Dawn Kiehl-Beals latest installment in her Sweet Freedom series.  Don't miss her recipes even if you don't need to eat allergen free.  I can attest from experience that they are excellent.
  Thanks Dawn!



I admit it; Im already tired of winter and am dreaming of hot sunny days.  I know that my ski loving friends havent seen enough snow yet but Ive never been a fan of a sport that requires multiple layers of clothes, possible loss of fingers and toes and my nose freezing shut with each breathe I take!  Im a summer girl whose favorite spot (and sport) is a lounge chair in the sun with Kindle in hand.

Dreaming about summer makes me think of grilling.  Umm, warm, breezy evenings on the deck with fresh seafood and vegetables sizzling on the grill.  What could be better?  My fantasy got the better of me and before I knew it I had Cascios shrimp, scallops and fish thawing on my counter.  By the time everything had thawed, I realized that my poor husband would not only have to shovel a path to the grill but would also have to chip the ice off just to get the lid open.  So much for my active imagination, now what would I do with the thawed seafood on my counter. 

Thats when I remembered a delicious dish I had enjoyed several years ago in Grand Cayman.  I liked it so much that I ate it several times that week and then worked on recreating the recipe at home until I got it right.  I dubbed it Caribbean Curried Seafood and its been one of our favorites ever since.  The creamy coconut sauce and warm spices make it a perfect meal for winter plus when served on a bed of rice it falls right onto my comfort food list. 

Seafood is a great way to get lots of lean protein while keeping the calorie count low.  The long-chain omega-3s found in seafood benefit everyones health.  Omega 3s, also known as essential fatty acids, have been known as necessary to normal growth and health since the 1930s.  Improved heart health, sharper brain function, eye and vision health and improved immune function are just a few of the ways Omega 3s benefit the body.

Stop by Cascios to pick up the ingredients to this easy, festive dish and enjoy a taste of summer now!




Caribbean Curried Seafood

2 pounds seafood (shrimp, scallops, mahi-mahi)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
¼ cup olive oil
1-tablespoon mild curry powder
2 teaspoons ginger
Sea Salt to taste
2 cups coconut milk

Pour ¼ cup oil into a heavy-based skillet over medium heat.  Toss in the seafood, garlic and bell pepper and cook about 3 or 4 minutes.  Set aside.  In another skillet add coconut milk, curry powder and ginger.  Stir well and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is much reduced and thick, about 10 minutes.  (If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in cold water to the coconut milk).  Once the coconut milk and spices are thick, add the seafood and red pepper and cook until seafood is cooked.  Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.  Serve immediately over rice.  (For a spicier dish add Scotch Bonnet hot pepper sauce to taste.  You can also increase the amount of curry powder and ginger.)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment