Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summertime Sipping - Sweet Freedom; Living Allergen Free



Summer is finally here!  Maybe not the actual date on the calendar but for me, the beginning of June has always been the official start of summer.  To me, summer means June bugs hitting the screen, bright red watermelon, sleeping with the windows open, butter (alternative!) dripping off fresh corn on the cob, and twinkling lightning bugs.  It's when my dogs want to be out more than in and so do I.  Summer is also the time of the year when I feel like a few more hours get added to my day.  I know it's only a trick I play on myself but the extra hours of daylight make me feel like I've won the time lottery.  One of my favorite ways to spend my "winnings" is hanging out with friends on the deck, sipping wine and watching the light slowly fade out of the day.  I love a crisp, dry white wine like Pino Grigio or Chardonnay.  Fruit filled sangria's have always been appealing but when I taste them I'm disappointed with how sweet they are.  I recently found a recipe for Strawberry Basil Sangria that uses a base of Chardonnay.  My interest was  piqued because of the white, dry base and the fresh basil, so I decided to give it a try.  Basil has always been one of my favorite herbs.  It has a unique flavor that pairs well with the strawberries and apple.  The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it as sweet or as tart as you like by increasing or decreasing the amount of sugar and grape juice.  It's a refreshing drink for a summer evening and keeps well in the fridge for a day or two (that's only if your lucky enough to have left overs!).  Of course this is both gluten and dairy free so what's not to enjoy!




Strawberry Basil Sangria

½ lb of fresh strawberries
1 apple
1 ounce of fresh whole basil leaves
1 bottle of your favorite Chardonnay
½ cup organic sugar
1 cup of club soda
1 cup of white grape juice

1. Trim and thinly slice the strawberries.

2. Slice and dice the apple into very small bits.

3. Score the basil leaves with a fork or cut into strips.  If you score the basil then simply  rub the basil leaves gently with the fork in order to release their flavor in the sangria.

4. Layer the fruit, sugar and basil in a large pitcher and let sit for about 10 minutes. This is just to let the sugar absorb the juices from the basil and the fruit. You'll see it turn a bit red.

No comments:

Post a Comment