Monday, March 12, 2012

All Thing Appetizers - Sweet Freedom: Eating Allergen Free


Donald and I are lucky enough to share quite a few meals at Dawn's table.  She cooks her treats so that she can enjoy them and I can honestly tell you I have never felt I was missing anything at her table.  Now if I can just get her to cook for us every night.....


"We're having a get together Saturday night, we'd love for you to come and oh, could you bring an appetizer?"

As much as I love a get together with friends, sometimes that invitation makes me want to run and hide!  I know what it feels like to watch others devour delicious morsels filled with all my dietary no nos.  Usually I inhale deeply and try to remember the flavor of Spinach Artichoke Dip in a warm bread bowl while munching on a dry corn chip.  Normally I don't mind dealing with my food allergies but parties sometimes leave me feeling just a tad sorry for myself.  Sure, I can take a tray full of olives or chips and salsa - and I certainly never go away hungry.  But... I whine what everyone else is eating!  Oh my gosh!  Did I just hear myself whine and in public to boot?  Sorry, but that's just not acceptable behavior!  I need to pick myself up and create some appetizers that leave the gluten and cheese lovers begging for more.  

A while back I shared my secret weapon with you...Cashew Cream Cheese.  If you haven't tried it yet, it's the saving grace of all things appetizers!  The only alternative replacement for sour cream or cream cheese currently on the grocery shelf is a soy
version.  Soy contains a compound called isoflavones.  This compound is similar to the hormone estrogen.  There have been many studies on the effects of soy on the human body with very conflicting results.  Another concern is that most soy products available in the United States have been genetically modified.  If you notice cramping, bloating and gastrointestinal problems when consuming soy, then you probably have an allergy.  Soy is actually one of the most common allergies and often misdiagnosed or over- looked.  Even if you don't have soy allergies like I do, a little soy goes a long way! 

So...appetizers.  Long after I gave up dairy and soy, Buffalo Chicken Dip became popular.  Until recently, seeing it only left me frustrated about how sick I would be if I took a bite.  Since I gave up the whine, I had no choice but to find a way to make an allergy free version of this dip.  One day, while browsing Pinterest, I came across the recipe for Buffalo Chicken Bites.  I pulled a container of my secret weapon out the fridge and put together the most amazing appetizer I remember tasting.  The true test would be with my family.  So, I whipped up a double batch and took it to a family meal.  My plan of bringing some home to freeze for later was foiled when everyone begged for the second tray to be baked!

As I play with more appetizer recipes I'm finding that the great thing about Cashew Cream Cheese is that you can use it as a substitute for sour cream, cream cheese and even yogurt!  Give it a try as a replacement in your favorite dips or appetizers and check out the recipe below!




Buffalo Chicken Bites

Ingredients:
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce (to taste)
3 1/2 ounces cashew cream cheese, softened
1 3/4 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese alternative
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 4 cups Corn Flakes or Corn Chex cereal, crushed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, cream cheese and hot sauce, cheddar cheese and green onions.
Roll a heaping tablespoon of mixture into a 1½-inch ball and place onto a plate or separate baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Place flour in a shallow dish.
In a second shallow dish, place eggs.
In a third shallow dish, place corn flakes.
Dip each chicken ball first into the flour, then the egg and ending with the Corn Flakes. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. 


Editors Note:  

Dear Dawn, 
I am ready to try this any time and very soon!  When should we come to dinner?
Signed, 
Jodi
P.S.  - I am hungry now.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dawn,

    I'm with Jodi. We should totally taste test this recipe-- like ASAP. You know, to ensure safety and quality of flavor ;)

    ReplyDelete