Friday, April 13, 2012

Berry Memories - Sweet Freedom; Eating Allergen Free


This is one of those recipes I have not tried at Dawn's house.  But be warned Mrs. Beals, that has to change!  These sound amazing.  I will bring the coffee! - Jodi

I don't want to rush the season (or my life for that matter) but the sneak peak we had at summer weather a few weeks ago has left me craving for more.  I'm one of those people who thinks 65 degrees and sunny calls for a light winter coat and hat.  I almost believe that it can never be too hot.  I may eat my words this summer but I do love hot weather! 
Some of my favorite memories are warm weather ones.  Picking berries of any kind has always been something I look forward to each summer.  There is something uniquely relaxing about the warm sun beating on your back while you listen to berries thump against the bottom of your pail and birds cawing for you to move away from their feast. 
A field of wild strawberries would ripen every June across from my house.  My sisters and I would pick these tiny jewels and my grandmother would turn them into sweet jam and topping for strawberry shortcake.  In August we would pick buckets of tart currents; our fingers and mouths stained red.  Another special memory is of my grandmother and her sister taking us to pick blackberries.  Neither of them ever wore anything but a dress.  But for this special occasion, much to our glee, both dressed in my grandfather's work pants and we headed off to the woods.  We came home scratched, tired, stained purple and our tummies full.  For the last several year's Greg and I have spent warm afternoons picking pounds and pounds of blueberries the size of small grapes.  Of all berries, blueberries are my favorite and the first sun baked berry that I pop in my mouth is always the best of the season. 
I know it's way too soon to pick blueberries but Cascio's has delicious berries in stock right now.  Blueberries are great fresh but they are also easy to use in a variety of recipes when frozen.  I like to spread them on a cookie sheet, freeze them for an hour or so then pour them into freezer bags.  This way they freeze individually and are easy to use not only in baking but for cereal too. 
Just one serving of blueberries provides almost 25% of the daily recommended requirement of vitamin C.  They're high in antioxidants and low in calories.  Blueberries  
have both anti-angling and anti- inflammatory properties, plus they work as a disease  preventative. 
Stop by Cascio's and pick up a carton of fresh blueberries!  If you don't eat them all before you get home, try my favorite recipe for blueberry muffins.



Frozen Blueberry Muffins

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups gluten free flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter alternative, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk alternative
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups frozen blueberries, unthawed
TOPPING:
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
DIRECTIONS:
1.            In a large bowl, combine the gluten free flour, baking powder and salt. In a mixing bowl, cream butter alternative and sugar. Add eggs, milk alternative and vanilla; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in frozen blueberries. Fill 24 greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.  (I love the big deli sized muffins so I fill the muffin cups to the top and bake a few minutes longer.  If you do this you will only get about 18.)

Wrap the muffins in Press 'n Seal and pop them in the freezer for an easy breakfast or snack

No comments:

Post a Comment