Monday, April 23, 2012

Pizza Competition - Sweet Freedom; Eating Allergen Free






One of the things I missed the most when I had to give up gluten and dairy was pizza.  Previously, Greg and I would have pizza of some kind every Sunday evening.  Thin and crispy, taco, Chicago style, Pizza Hut or Chef Boyardee, it didn't matter as long as it was chewy and covered in gooey cheese.  About eight months into my new way of eating, I was finally feeling great.  Pleased with my progress, I talked my doctor into letting me have "real" pizza for my birthday.  A week after my feeding frenzy, I had to call my doctor because I was as sick as I ever remembered being.  A month later I was still sick and regretting every bite.  When I asked my doctor why he let me do it, he said it was the only way I would believe just how bad my allergies really were.  In his defense, he tried to talk me out of it but could see I was determined to give it a try.  If you know me, then you know that he was fighting a losing battle.  Usually, once I make up my mind about something it's as good as done!  
Thankfully I learned my lesson and have cheated very few times since then.  However, I still missed pizza!  I tried to make gluten and dairy free versions but for many years, cheese alternatives tasted like rubber and gluten free crusts were more like eating crunchy bread sticks.  I finally gave up and relegated myself to a pizza-less life.   That is until my gluten free baking accomplice introduced me to a crust recipe that was chewy and delicious.  She was kind enough to share her recipe with me so that I can share it with you.  The shortening gives it the fat it needs for a thick crust that you can really sink your teeth into.  Cheese alternatives have come a long way too.  My personal favorite is a mozzarella style shred by a company called Daiya.  Now when I want pizza, I stop by Cascio's for my gluten free flour, fresh mushrooms, basil and spinach and head home to whip up my old (new) favorite! 
I'm including two different crust recipes that I've had great success with, give them both a try to see which works best for you.

Gluten Free Pizza Crust 1

Ingredients:
2 cups tapioca flour/starch
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup GF millet flour 
(or 4 cups of the gluten free flour mix of your choice)
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 tablespoons organic light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water (between 110 - 115ºF)
1 teaspoon organic light brown sugar
1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup beaten organic free-range egg whites (or egg replacer for two eggs)
1/4 teaspoon light tasting rice vinegar


Instructions:
Grease two 12-inch pizza pans and dust lightly with gluten-free flour. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours and dry ingredients.
Proof the yeast in 1 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar.
Add the proofed yeast to the dry ingredients. Add the oil, eggs and vinegar.
Beat the dough until smooth and sticky. The pizza dough should be creamy smooth and not too thick- it's not sturdy like typical bread dough. It almost borders on batter.

Using a silicone spatula divide the dough in half. Scoop each half onto the center of a prepared pizza pan. Using clean, wet hands press down lightly and flatten the dough to create a thin, even pizza shell, with slightly raised edges. You'll have to rinse your hands more than once to do this. Take your time to smooth out the dough with wet palms.
Set the pizza shells in a warm spot to rest and rise- about 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

When the oven is hot, place the two pizza pans side by side on the center rack (if your oven is too small to accommodate both pans on one rack, you'll need to use two racks; rotate the pans half way through baking time to avoid overcooking on the lower rack).
Bake for ten minutes till golden.
Remove from the oven. Preheat the broiler.
Brush the pizza shell with extra virgin olive oil. Season with sea salt and fresh garlic. Sprinkle with Italian herbs.
Top with your choice of fresh vegetables and herbs.
Broil 4 to 5 minutes until cheese is nice and bubbly.

Tip:  If you use a different mixture of gluten free flours than listed above, I've found that you may have to add more water to the mix so that it mixes totally together and is smooth and sticky. 

Gluten Free Pizza Crust 2

2c rice flour
2c tapioca flour (these first two ingredients are those I substituted 'better batter" for)
2/3c dry milk powder or nondairy substitute (almond meal works here)
3-1/2t xanthan gum (not needed if better batter is used)
1t salt
2 t pizza seasonings (optional)
2T dry yeast granules
1c lukewarm water (105-115 degrees)
1T sugar
3T shortening
1/2c hot water
4 egg whites at room temperature

1. In a bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, put flours, milk powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
2. Meanwhile dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water with the tablespoon of sugar added.
3. Melt the shortening in the hot water.

With the mixer on low, blend the dry ingredients, adding the seasoning if desired. Pour in the hot water and shortening, blending to mix. Add the egg whits, blend again, then add the yeast mixture.  Beat on high speed for 4 minutes. *note, I usually mix by hand until the texture resembles a more moist traditional pizza dough.

Spoon half the dough onto a greased cookie sheet or round pizza tin.  With your hand in a plastic bag (or with a moistened soup spoon) spread the dough out in a circle a bout 1/4" thick except at the edges.  Repeat with the second half of the dough.

Let rise 10 minutes then bake in preheated 400 degree oven 5-7 minutes before spreading you sauce and favorite toppings.  Bake 20-22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment