Wednesday, November 23, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude - Sweet Freedom - Living Allergen Free



 Here is another installment from Dawn Kiehl Beals in her ongoing series "Sweet Freedom - Living Allergen Free"  Let me just add that at Cascio's we are thankful for the two ladies who write our guest blogs.  Thank you Dawn and Jane!


An Attitude of Gratitude




It was about 17 years ago and the week before Thanksgiving when I first found out that I had to give up both gluten and dairy.  Talk about a lack of gratitude!  I felt like I had just been issued a death sentence and had a real Eeyore attitude going on.  Instead of enjoying Thanksgiving, I moaned about what I could no longer enjoy.  Christmas loomed over my head like a cloud, no chess pies, no home made candy, how would I ever get through the holidays.   Thankfully, I'm  typically more of a glass half-full kind of person.   So, I finally told myself to either get over the bad attitude or eat what I wanted and be sick.  I choose to get over it and was actually feeling physically so much better by Christmas that I didn't mind what I was missing. 

Today, there are ways to create all of your favorite holiday goodies into gluten and dairy free versions.  In fact, they're so good no one knows the difference!  That wasn't the case 17 years ago.  Choices were few and far between and definitely tasted " different".  It's one of the reasons why I'm so passionate about sharing what I have discovered about living gluten and dairy free.  For me, it's a choice to be healthy and get the most out of life rather than a punishment.  I love playing with recipes and trying them out on unsuspecting family and friends.  It's a real compliment to hear how much they enjoy a meal and then watch the disbelief on their faces when I tell them it was gluten and dairy free! 

My, how my attitude has changed!  When I was deciding about what I wanted to share this week, I spent a lot of time thinking about thankfulness.  Thankfulness, like any other response or attitude is a choice.  It has nothing to do with food or the fact that dinner is scheduled for the same time as the big game.  It's not about having a to-do list longer than the hours left until Thursday or the fact that it takes weeks to get ready and only minutes to eat.  Thankfulness is about allowing ourselves to be in a position where we grow closer to God by acknowledging His fingerprints all over our lives.  Thankfulness brings light into dark corners and takes the focus off of us and onto where it belongs.  When we're thankful we're stronger, healthier and happier.  We recognize just how much we have and share it with others.  This year take more than just a few minutes to say grace before digging into the bird and pies.  Focus on all the things in your life that you have to be thankful for and share it with those around the table.  I know those who will be sitting beside me on Thursday are at the top of my thankful list.  Families come in all shapes and sizes, related by blood or friends who we love, filled with quirks and idiosyncrasies.  But the bottom line is that there ours!  This year don't worry if the turkey is dry or the rolls are burnt or you forgot your covered dish.  Laugh, talk, spend time with each other and most importantly take time to thank God.

Enjoy this recipe for o e of my favorite holiday pies!

Derby Pie




Directions
Beat 4 eggs
 Add 1/2 cup sugar - beat
Add 8 oz Kari syrup - beat
Add 1 tsp vanilla or 2 tsps bourbon
Add one stick (1/2) cup melted butter alternative
Dump 1 cup pecans and 3/4 cut chocolate chips in bottom of gluten free pie crust.
Pour batter over nuts
Bake at 350* for 45 to 60 minutes


Side note from Jodi:  Don and I recently enjoyed this recipe at Dawn's home.  I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that is outstanding!  In fact, I am pretty sure Don had more then his fair share.  Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment