Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tuscan Corner - Stuffed Pork Roast

Tuscan Corner

Jane has giving us another recipe and all the information we need to create a delicious dinner.  Thanks Jane!

Enjoy!




As I cozied up to my Tuscan cookbook this past weekend, my eyes and my tummy were drawn to the ingredients for a pork roast. I’m not well versed when it comes to roasts of any kind. It’s only been within the past decade that I’ve become better acquainted with various cuts of meat. Truth be told, I make a better vegetarian than carnivore, but anything in moderation. Besides this involved cheese, mushrooms and wine, my favorite things!

There was a time when I would follow a recipe verbatim. To stray from the ingredients of proven outcomes would be reckless. I had little confidence because I lacked experience. With maturity comes bravery and the ability to throw caution to the wind. I am a rebel I tell you, free to embellish, change and revise a recipe. I do it, often with impunity and usually with positive results.

                                                            Stuffed Pork Roast

1 pound boned pork roast*
2 slices of melting cheese (such as Emmenthal or Gruyere)*
2 slices prosciutto*
4-5 sage leaves (fresh is best)
Flour (for dusting the roast)
1 Tbsp of butter
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small glass of white wine*
1 cup of chicken or meat broth
4 porcini mushrooms, chopped. May be dried or frozen if not fresh.
1 clove of garlic, smashed
1 small bunch of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Kitchen string

*indicates my substitutions.

Slice open the roast without cutting through. Lay the cheese in the middle, not touching the ends. Over this lay the prosciutto and sage leaves. Close and tie firmly with the string. Dust with flour and salt and pepper lightly.

In a heavy pot with a cover, brown the roast in the butter and olive oil (I am always more liberal with the olive oil).  Toss the wine over it (I’m liberal with the wine too) and allow to evaporate somewhat. Add the broth and mushrooms, reduce the flame (or burner) to low and cook until soft through, about 1.5 hours. Add water if necessary during the process. Toward the end add the garlic and chopped parsley. When done, place on a platter, slice and serve with sauce from the pan.





I had the basic ingredients and fresh sage was still hanging on in my herb garden. With a little ingenuity, I could fake the rest. I used a boneless pork roast* even though it called for a “boned pork roast.” No prosciutto on hand but I did have its second cousin, chopped pancetta*. Hurting for white wine, I cheated with a cabernet* and used brie* as a soft cheese substitute. I tossed in a generous handful of pine nuts* when I added the broth and the dried porcini mushrooms. I did not finishing cooking the roast entirely on the cook top as the recipe suggested. Instead I transferred it into a large covered casserole and baked the last 30 minutes at 375 degrees. This allowed me to begin preparation in the morning and finish closer to the dinner hour.

The results were a flavorful and moist roast which also made an attractive presentation. The next time I would stick with the white wine (probably a buttery chardonnay) as it should better enhance the cheese and garlic. Prosciutto is a saltier and leaner ham which I believe I would have preferred over its fattier cousin. However those pine nuts enhanced the sage and cheese and they deserve to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment