Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It ain't Christmas without a Fruitcake....



Everyone has a fruitcake story. Some are stories about cakes that Grandma made and how your holiday is just not complete until Aunt So and So recreates the recipe for the whole family to enjoy.  That's the Norman Rockwell version.  Then there is the "Oh crap Grandma made that $%# fruitcake again" type story.  That is more the Scrooge version.  But admit it, we all have a love/hate relationship with a fruitcake somewhere in our past.  

I remember well my first bite of fruitcake.  My parents had these friends who every year threw the best New Years Eve party.....EVER!  I remember those parties so well.  A ton of fun.  The hostess every year would outdo herself with cooking and baking for the big event.  One year we showed up and sure enough the table was covered with all sorts of terrific options and this really pretty looking cake.  I don't remember ever seeing a cake like that before, it had red and green dots in it and it looked amazing. Then I tasted it.  Someone should have warned me.  The hostess had been soaking that cake in Rum since the Easter Bunny had dropped colored eggs on her front lawn!  I was only about 9!  I think I had to do a stint in AA after that.  I vowed never to eat fruitcake again.  Ever!  Side note:  This is the same lady who took my favorite Christmas candy of all times, chocolate covered cherries,  took a syringe and filled them with liquor. Again, no one told the children and I bit into what I was hoping was my favorite candy only to have my eyes water and throat burn for an hour.  My question is why was no one watching the children? But I digress....

About five or six years ago we started stocking Claxton fruitcakes.  I have to admit upon seeing the word fruitcake I was immediately transported back to that fateful New Years Eve where I discovered I don't like Rum....so imagine my surprise when shipment after shipment of fruitcakes vanished.  

The manufacturer of the product describes them like this:  

Sun-ripened California raisins, delicious pineapple, crunchy Georgia pecans, plump juicy cherries, freshly shelled walnuts and almonds, tangy lemon and orange peel, blended into rich pound cake batter....baked to a golden brown.  

Well I got to admit, that sounds pretty good to me.  


Last year when I posted to Facebook that we had received our shipment of fruitcakes my friend Chris Burtner  called me up and said, "You got to be kidding! People really buy those?" He thought I was joking when I said yes they do and they are very good.

They are....they truly are.  That many of our customers can't be wrong.  Stop by today and try them in one pound sleeves or a gift box of 3 - 1lb. sleeves.  For those of you who remember grandma's cake fondly, I hope this is a nice reminder of Christmas from your past.  For those of you who remember the cake as a doorstop, I hope this will change your mind about fruitcakes.  For me, I am still reeling from that rum laden cake I had many years ago....but thanks to Claxton I just got to remember some really fun New Year's Eve parties.  


No comments:

Post a Comment