Thursday, February 16, 2012

A new kinda club....





I am trying to remember exactly how it got started.........hmmmm.....did I call Sally or did Sally call Kami or did I run into Jennifer.....I can't exactly remember......


Wait, I am getting too far ahead of the story!  Let me start at the very beginning.  You see I joined Facebook.......no, that is too far back........Okay I will try again...


Ugh!  I don't know how to tell you about the really fun, really cool, really neat cooking group that has formed here in Somerset.  That is what I am trying to blog about but all sorts of thoughts are running through my head and like I frequently say to my mother when she is telling me a story and it gets slightly off track (well way way way more than slightly.........but I digress) give me wings to get to the point!  


Here is the point, Somerset has a new cooking group.  Yep, there I said it and it is out there.  We do, we have a new cooking club and it formed as a result of a cooking group that was created by Kami Hearn on Facebook quite a while ago.  


Kami loves to cook, really cook, like no Hot Pockets cook. She is a good cook and she cooks wonderful meals for her two darling kids.  I know this because Kami is a good customer.  She comes to Cascio's frequently and she will engage you in a conversation about food quicker then you can say broccoli!  Well Kami added her aunt Jennifer Greig and Jennifer loves to cook too.  She has a recipe for everything.  Want to know how to do something, ask Jennifer. She amazes me.   Then there is Sally Manges.  Sally....well Sally is sort of a legend in our own little town.  She is an important part of the Somerset Hospital landscape and man can she cook too!  I know this because she is one of the members of the cooking group that Kami started on Facebook and Sally too is an excellent Cascio's customer.


Well this one day when this lady meet this.....wait that is the theme to the Brady Bunch.....well this one day Sally, Jennifer, Kami and Jodi (me!) all put our heads together and thought it would be fun if we actually physically meet and put together a club for all of the ladies (and gentlemen) who come together in the Facebook room and chat about food.  What if we meet somewhere, in person, and talked and ate and learned?  What if......well what if a real food club was born?  


It did!  The first meeting was the end of January and what started out as just four girls who wanted to see if anyone else wanted to get together and learn soon found out that yes indeed lots of ladies (and gentlemen) did want to do that and at the very first meeting in January 35+ folks did come!  (Too long of a sentence, not enough punctuation...but I digress)  Great success!


So a club is formed/forming.  We will meet the 1st Tuesday of every month and for right now Laurel Arts has graciously agreed to allow us to meet at the Dressler Center.  The very first meeting was Stewart Ireland from Crazy Alice's Cafe and he did a program on soup stock.  As luck would have it, I had another commitment that night and couldn't go and from what I understand it was my loss!  Can you say "Rave Reviews?"  Yes, the program and the first program got rave reviews.  Sally, Jennifer and Kami were over the moon excited. I was just sorely disappointed I had to miss the first meeting. 


But I get a second chance as the next meeting is March 6th at 6:30 p.m. and will feature a program by:


Elena Gary, RD, Diabetes Education Coordinator, Somerset Hospital.

 Topic: From Planning to Clean-up: Be A Cook in Control.


So if you want to learn about planning your meals and eating healthy and do you want to have a really fun evening? Then plan to join us.  We have had a ton of fun planning the club, reading the suggestions of the folks who attended the first meeting and just basically figuring out how to get a club off the ground. 

Please plan on coming!  We have worked hard (well maybe, but it doesn't feel like work) and we really want to create a group that will help each other learn shortcuts and new ways to prepare food and how to have really healthy and fun meals for your family.  

Bottom line, we want you to come!  Need more information?  Call me at Cascio's, I will do what I can to answer your questions.  445-4852  






No comments:

Post a Comment