Friday, February 3, 2012

Winter Vegetable Tart - Tuscan Corner


Another installment in Jane Adam's Tuscan Corner Series.  
Enjoy!



Here we are in the dreary doldrums of February. That limbo, post-holiday season where fun and frazzle ends and the blues and blahs begin. Even the weather has been too pathetic to work up a good schedule altering snow storm. It is here that we sit among our partially broken resolutions to exercise, eat better and live a healthier lifestyle while waiting for spring. I’m plodding through, but I am a little depressed.

Though it’s still in its infancy, I had such high hopes for 2012. This being my 50th year on earth, I was determined to tackle it with a renewed enthusiasm. In addition to all of the above “standard” resolutions, I signed up for a painting class, enrolled in a Bible study and promised myself I’d do better at this blogging thing. I was also sure that our house which has been under contract for 10 months with a contingency would finally come to a close and we’d be moving. But the painting class has been disappointing, the Bible study a tad too rigid, and my house is no closer to closing than Rick Santorum is to moving into the White House. I’ve even missed a blog or two; however I had a good excuse last week. I had (whispering) a colonoscopy! Yes, the dreaded rite of passage of the fifth decade.

I am the wimp of medical procedures; I close my eyes to have blood drawn. I even get a little panicky when my blood pressure is taken. But I’m here to say, this procedure was a breeze. Even the dreaded prep was tolerable. Wearing a tacky surgical gown was indeed humiliating, but the sedatives soon subdued my vanity. BONUS: I got to keep the purple non-slip socks! Ladies (and gents) if you’ve made up excuses as to why you’re not getting this screening test done, let the socks be your motivation!

So am I that depressed that I had to find my inspiration in a colonoscopy? No, but it is a great segue to kale. No vegetable is more valuable to colon health than kale, the best food source of lutein. Lutein protects against colon cancer in both men and women. Kale also provides a whopping 89% of your daily vitamin C requirement. Vitamin C is associated with a reduced risk of colon cancer among its many other virtues. Many people don’t eat kale because it is bitter. However, bitter greens are more palatable in the late fall and winter, because they are sweetened by frost!

So without further ado, I give you a colon friendly Tuscan winter vegetable tart! But you’ll have to get your own purple socks so schedule your colonoscopy today!



For the Pastry:  
3 1/2 cups of flour
2 T olive oil
Salt
Water
(or cheat and buy the Pillsbury pre-made pie shells)

Filling:
1 pound of Kale 
2 leeks, finely chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, plus additional to drizzle over crust
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
3-4 chopped garlic cloves
Chopped (fresh if possible) herbs to taste (oregano, thyme)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Make a simple pastry by mixing together the flour, olive oil, salt and enough water to make a dough that can easily be rolled out. Let rest while you prepare the filling.

Wash, trim and chop the Kale (unless you purchased it prepared). In a large skillet, saute the chopped garlic and leeks in a bit of olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the kale and continue to saute until the kale softens slightly.  Place in a mixing bowl when done. Add the potatoes, oil, herbs and cheese to the bowl and mix well.

Oil a large rectangular jelly roll pan. Roll out the dough so that is is large enough to cover the bottom of the pan with some dough left over the edges to fold back over the vegetables (the top crust does not have to entirely cover the vegetables). Place the dough in the pan, fill with prepared vegetables and fold over the dough forming top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust with a fork and drizzle with olive oil.*

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until top is golden brown.

*I used two Pillsbury pie crusts, placed one crust in a glass pie dish and filled with the vegetables. I covered with second shell, trimming and pinching the edges.

I have seen variations to this recipe which I have not tried. 1 cup of Ricotta cheese may be added to the vegetable mixture. Additionally a cup of cubed butternut squash can be added in exchange for a little less kale.






No comments:

Post a Comment