Friday, December 30, 2011

Lasagna Soup and other musings

It is getting close to one of my least favorite days of the whole year.  New Years eve.  I bet you thought it was Ground Hog Day didn't you?  Nope, New Years.  I guess I should like the fact that New Years Day is a like a giant "do over", but I find it unnerving.  

I remember as a kid that my aunt and uncle would have a big New Years Eve party every year. I looked forward to it.  We got to stay up until mid-night. When you are 8 years old, that is huge.  But through the years I found that it felt ominous.  I would sit there and look at all of the faces of my family and wonder what was in store for them for the new year.  Now I have always been pretty much "the glass is half full" kinda gal, but there is something about the New Year that turns me into a bit of a negative person.  It is weird.  I remember sitting in my aunt's home looking at the faces of all the people who were dear to me and wondering if they would all be there next year at this same time. The thought that they may not be was overwhelming.  

I have realized as life goes on every day is essentially New Years.  We can assign that distinction to almost any day that we choose but New Years is the official sign of a new beginning.  I need to learn to change my thinking about this day. 

I have an idea this year for a New Years resolution and I will share that with you on New Years day.  For now I am will share a recipe that I found this morning and have tweaked just a bit.  It is wonderful and I hope you enjoy it. I think it has that comfort food distinction.  Hence the reason I am posting it for you on a day where my soul goes back to all of those New Years Eve's before and remembers being uncertain about what a new year would look like.....that feeling still lingers.


Lasagna Soup

for the soup:
2 tsp. olive oil
1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
3 c. chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 T. tomato paste
1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 c. chicken stock
8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the cheesy yum:
8 oz. ricotta
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment