Sunday, December 18, 2011

Santa Claus came to town


Don and I first thing in the morning.

For the second year in a row, Don and I have hosted Santa for a day of fun at Cascio's.  I have to say this is one of my hands down favorite events that we do each year.  It is totally free to everyone who comes to see us and includes a chance to tell Santa your hearts desire, get a candy cane and orange and I take a snapshot of everyone who comes.  It was cold this year and Santa brought with him some snow which we have been lacking here in Somerset for most of the winter.  I am thinking next year we are going to add hot chocolate. 

Just a quick bit of history before I share some of the photos of the day.  If you went to Newberrys as a kid and sat on Santa's lap you more than likely sat on the lap of a gentleman by the name of George Roberts.  Mr. Roberts was the Santa Claus for years here in Somerset and the Vo-Tech school even created for him a special chair.  Currently, Lynn Baer has assumed the role of Santa but before he passed away George gave Lynn his chair.  That chair was moved from its storage place in the Glades Pike building (old Newberrys building) and placed on our porch in anticipation of Santa's arrival.


Santa's chair has to be at least 40-50 years old.

For me, one of my most cherished memories of Christmas with my own boys was the first time we took them to see Santa.  I remember it was in the old George's Men's Shop building. George's had been closed and at that time the old buildings were being used for just this type of event.  We walked into the store and there sat Santa.  Spencer immediately grabbed for my hand as he knew that this was the guy, but he wasn't 100% sure about sitting on his lap.  Then Santa looked up and said, "Well there are the Brougher boys."  Spencer's eyes got huge!  He whispered to me, "He knows my name!"  Yes, having grown up here Santa probably does know at least your last name.  He is quick to throw that in to help confirm that he knows you personally.  Then Santa hit a home run, "You helping dad at Cascio's?"  That would forever solidify in Spencer's mind that Santa really did know it all.  From that moment on he told everyone that the "real Santa" came to Somerset.  He wouldn't go near another "mall Santa" again.  He looked with disdain at any Santa who tried to get near him or called him "little boy".  He would look them in the eye and say, "what's my name?" and when they stared back he very smugly had proof that  "the real Santa" came to Somerset.  Years later when we had the inevitable discussion about Santa, Spencer's first question was "But Mom, how did Santa know my name?"  My answer, "He and dad were in high school together."  

I witnessed first hand Santa having that same connection with child after child on Saturday.  He may not know their first name, but he sure did know most of their last names.  When one sweet boy told Santa he had received all A's on his report card, Santa said, "Well I don't think your dad can say he did." which elicited many belly laughs from the family members watching the interaction!  I had a hunch from the way grandma smiled that Santa was right!


Not everyone thought Santa was too great. Wishing that Dad would take him back seemed to be Jude's hearts desire!


What a day.  What a tradition!  I had so much fun.  I was incredibly cold, but I wouldn't have dreamed of missing even one minute of seeing each child get their couple minutes on Santa's lap.  We will be doing this again, we have already booked Santa for 2012. Tomorrow we will return the chair back to it's storage place and we will hope and pray each child's hearts desire gets realized on Christmas morning.  I am especially hopeful for the girl who wants the puppy and the other little lady who asked for a pony!



You don't have to be a child to enjoy Santa.  Is it me or does Santa look  happy on this picture?  Of course he does!































Note:  a complete album is on the Cascio's Facebook page.  If you would like a copy of any of these photos, email me at gracelampwork@yahoo.com and I will send you the original file.  I will delete them from my computer on January 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment