Friday, December 2, 2011

Ricotta Mousse With Giant Shrimp - Tuscan Corner



Jane has another installment for the Tuscan Corner! 
Enjoy!
Please note:  Jane lives in Ohio and she doesn't get to shop at Cascio's except when she is in town, so keep that in mind as you read her musings about heading to the grocery store.



By Sunday with our Thanksgiving travels complete, black Friday insanity behind us, and blog space to fill, it was time to go back out into the shopping world....grocery shopping that is. I salivated over several Tuscan recipes, made a list and checked it twice! It’s hard to think about food when you’ve over-indulged all weekend, but the refrigerator was bare and I could no longer fake it without at least the essentials.

Typically I am less than enthusiastic about a trip to the grocery store. My husband had offered to take on this task for me, but I wasn’t going to produce a blog piece or any Tuscan magic with a pound of bologna, American cheese and a case of Coke so I’d still have to venture out there. I’m not being cruel at his expense because this is my “thing” and I’m a control freak. It can be intimidating for anyone to be sent off with my list of expectations. Ladies, you know this scenario...

First my list would not be clear so there would be a few phone calls to clarify. By the third call he’d hear the frustration in my tone and he would then quit calling out of fear. (That was in the old days, he now just leaves his phone in the car). He would return home to my heavy sighs and mumbling criticisms and a small “discussion” would take place. He’d retreat to the man cave and I’d still have to make the trip when a key ingredient failed to make it home. But I digress....besides grocery shopping with a buddy is less daunting and much easier than carrying all those bags into the house on your own. He’s always a good sport until he sees the total at the register. This is where I dutifully remind him of all the “fuel perks” we’ve earned and the color returns to his face.

I needed a distraction tactic when purchasing Parmigiano-Reggiano. He’d never enjoy it as much if he realized the cost per bite. (Side note here:  Cascio's sells this wonderful cheese way way way cheaper than anywhere I have ever seen it!)   So I sent him off in search of two pounds of butter. He returned empty handed. “Did you want salted or unsalted butter?” he asked sheepishly. “Surprise me” came to mind. But I went with the politically correct answer, “how about one of each?” as I hurried off to purchase what he’d consider ridiculously over-priced shrimp, a key ingredient in today’s recipe.




Ricotta Mousse with Giant Shrimp

2 medium zucchini, chopped coarsely
1 shallot, chopped coarsely
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1.5 C of ricotta (about 10.5 oz)
3 egg whites
Salt and freshly ground pepper
15 small cherry tomatoes
9 large red shrimp or scampi
1 sliced tomato (for garnish)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Saute the zucchini and shallot in 2 T of olive oil for about 10 minutes, until they begin to soften and brown. Remove from heat. Beat the ricotta and egg whites together in a food processor for about five minutes. Remove to a bowl and add salt and pepper. Mix in the sauteed zucchini. Butter a round baking dish that will allow the mixture to rise (it will immediately fall again, so not to worry) and pour in the ricotta mixture. (I used a quiche dish). Bake for about 30-45 minutes depending on your oven*, or until the top begins to golden and the mixture is firm.

Quarter the cherry tomatoes and cook them quickly in the remaining olive oil. Squash them gently with a fork, and allow them to sit.

Peel the shell of each shrimp, leaving the tail. Steam for about 3-4 minutes until they are just cooked. Place the baked mousse in its baking dish on a serving platter. Top with the cooked tomato sauce and surround with shrimp. Serve warm

*A few notes: I had to bake the mousse for a good 45 minutes in my oven and finished with the last five minutes under the broiler to brown and bubble the top. It never really rose and fell like a souffle as the recipe indicated it would. I followed directions to the tee so I’m not sure if my oven was the culprit. But it still turned out well.

If you prefer a firmer, more quiche like texture I’d suggest that you add one or two more egg whites. This was a simple dish, with a mild taste. The tomato sauce topper made a lovely, more acidic contrast. You may also substitute spinach or any vegetable of your choice for the zucchini. I combined this with a butternut squash soup and small salad as a light dinner but it would also make a terrific brunch item.
 Another little side note here:  Jane included this picture of her dog licking it's lips.  Evidentally Nellie (that's the dogs name) loves shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment