Saturday, December 10, 2011

"My Secret Weapon" - Sweet Freedom: Living Allergen Free

 Another installment from Dawn Kiehl-Beals in her Sweet Freedom: Living Allergen Free series.  I have had Dawn's desserts which utilize this recipe and I honestly thought I was eating cream cheese. Enjoy!



In addition to gluten, I am allergic to both dairy and soy.  For years, this combination of allergies made it impossible to recreate some of my favorite recipes that called for sour cream and cream cheese into allergen free versions.   Most dairy free replacements for these ingredients are made of soy.  If you don't have a problem with soy then these options are delicious and easy to use.  I made a cheesecake out of soy "cream cheese" for a friend's birthday and no one knew the difference!  The problem was that it proved too tempting for even me resist.  I caved, had a small slice and then was sick for days and days.  Instead of excepting my fate of a sour cream and cream cheese free life, I set out on a mission.  I was determined to find a way to make "cream cheese" pie and cookie dough, icing and even a topping for my gluten free bagel. 

After much trial and error, I've come up with my secret weapon, a replacement that works well in most recipes...cashew cream cheese!  It has a creamy consistency and that slightly tart flavor I was looking for.  Cashews are a soft nut that's full of flavor.  I'm always looking for natural ways to add healthy benefits to my diet and cashews do just that.  Cashews have no cholesterol, help to maintain healthy teeth and gums and are a protein rich food that energizes the body.  Not only are cashews high in antioxidants but they are also rich in magnesium and cooper. 

With all of these health benefits, I'm thinking pumpkin rolls filled with "cream cheese" icing, apricot filled cookies with "cream cheese" dough, and....oh, an extra five mile run too!
Give this recipe a try even if you can tolerate soy.  I think you'll enjoy the unique flavor and creamy texture.
Tip: The recipe calls for raw or salt free cashews.  If you can only find salted cashews, rinse them several times before soaking and do not add the additional salt called for in the recipe.


Cashew Cream Cheese

1 1/2 C raw cashews (if you can't find raw at least use no salt added cashews)

1/4 tsp. minced garlic

3 Tbsp + 1 tsp. lemon juice

2 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

1/4 tsp. xanthan gum, optional but will help thicken

2 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid or liquid form

3 Tbsp. SO Delicious coconut creamer or milk, original or other milk replacement

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 tsp. tahini

1/2 C water, as needed

3/4 tsp. sea salt

1.    Soak cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or in room temperature water overnight.
2.   Drain and rinse cashews. Then, add to blender.

3. Add remaining ingredients using only 1/4 C of the water.

4. Add additional water as needed to facilitate blending.

5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The cream cheese will firm up in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment