Thursday, October 6, 2011

Evening Walk


People who have been away from Somerset for an extended period of time always comment on that first view they get of the Courthouse.  It is amazing and it always gives me a sense of truly being home.  An iconic scene as you get off the turnpike and make the trek to the center of town.  I wonder who was the original architect on this building?  Can you imagine what it would cost to build that building today?   I have always felt lucky that this is one of the first things that people to our town get to see.  It is in a word, impressive. 


Last night the weather here in Somerset was pretty much perfect.  As we headed out for a walk I grabbed my camera  as the evening light was warm and nearly glowed. Toward sunset the images got more and more interesting.  My ultimate destination was a trip down Main Street to Cascio's to check on a shipment that had arrived earlier that day.  After a lap through the "legal district"  I headed downtown toward the diamond.  


I turned the corner here and made my way to Cascio's.  But along the way I thought about what a joy it was to live in such a safe and stable environment.  I didn't need to secure my valuables for this hike, not a soul bothered us as we meandered along, traffic stopped to let us cross as I was not paying much attention to the "Walk" "Don't Walk" signs.  

I know Somerset has it's problems and idiosyncrasies.   Many people who move here say it is a hard community to become apart of,  but it has changed little since I was a girl.  I think one of the reason's new folks find it hard to break into this community is because most of us are still friends with the people we went to kindergarten with and truth be told they are probably our cousin. I really like the fact that children can still play safely in their neighborhoods and get an incredible amount of joy at watching the neighbor kids run back and forth between the yards.   Yes, there isn't a lot of industry and jobs are an issue but for quality of life we got it pretty good.  

My walk ended with me stopping at Cascio's and I did some "inventory control on a new product. 


I am not willing to let any product get to your house unless I am 100% sure it is excellent.  In the case of these Peanut Butter Melt-Aways, I can tell you from first hand experience that they are fantastic.  I really worked hard to check them out and make sure the quality was up to our standards.  Yes, it is a dirty job.......but really someone's gotta do it....

No comments:

Post a Comment