Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"What the heck!"


Okay so last Friday I started my morning by telling you all about the Apple Butter Muffins (which sold like hot cakes!) and about 11:00 a.m. I went to the bank to run my typical morning errands.  Now imagine my surprise when I came back down Main Street and there was a police car practically blocking our alley, lights flashing and looking very official.  My first thought was, "Oh crap, we have been robbed."  Not my favorite thought.  I maneuvered myself around the police car and  I caught my first glimpse of this!   To say that I was stunned....well that doesn't quite cover it.  I immediately walked in the store through the side door, stood on the steps and said to the congregation who was intently staring out the window....."what the heck happened?"  Okay, total confession time I might have not said "heck", but that is beside the point!  You get the idea of my shock.  

There standing in the store were the owners of the car on the top and the car on the bottom.  Looking stunned and a bit sheepish was the guy who was the owner of the car on the bottom, and with a truly startled look on her face was the owner of the car on the top.  All I could say was, "how the heck did you do that?"  Okay, I might not have said "heck." 

I can honestly tell you that in the 27 years of having a business on Main Street, I have kind of seen it all. People constantly go the wrong way, tons of fender benders, and a few that were a bit scary.  But can you imagine this?  Really?  

I immediately took out my phone, snapped a few pictures and forwarded to my kids at Grove City.  The instant reaction was "what the heck!"  Yes, I am pretty sure they said "heck", remember they were talking to their mother here.  

I am not sure who I felt the most sorry for, the guy who was cut off in traffic, swerved and ended up with a car on his hood, or the poor lady who kept staring out through our windows looking at her car with total shock on her face.  Now here is the kicker she had exited that car about two minutes earlier.  Yes, we all agreed that she was darn lucky.  (yes, darn) 

All in all, it was an interesting morning. I got lots of text messages from my friends wondering "what the heck" and we did a lot of laughing and joking at the poor guys expense who ended up with a car on his hood.  He was a good sport about it. 

Main Street was shut down for a period of time, Herring Motors got them untangled in a way I couldn't have imagined, and everyone went about their day.  All in all everything was fine.  

I did get a few posts from friends asking what we were selling that created that kind of commotion.  All I could think to say was, "Yes the Apple Butter Muffins are that good!"  


(Photograph from the Daily American website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment