Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fall Pleasure - Cascio's Apple Butter Bread


There is an old joke that says there are four seasons in Somerset County, almost winter, winter, still winter and road work.  As humorous as that is, it isn't really that far off the mark.  But we do have to pause and give credit to Autumn.  When those leaves change and you get a crisp fall day and the sun is shining  there is no more beautiful place on earth.  Don and I got married on October 6th and left immediately on our honeymoon.  When we came home the following Saturday I remember distinctly that the leaves had changed in what felt like overnight.  When we pulled in the driveway to our new home it  was stunning to see the colors of the trees in our yard.  I still live in that  house and those same trees still amaze me.  I know many people long to flee the coming season and head to warmer weather, but I honestly do like the change of season and would miss this time of year. 




Fall is one of the most exciting times of year at Cascio's.  Perhaps the star of our store in the fall months is our own Apple Butter.  We make it ourselves with our own recipe of apples and spices that we have concocted over the years.  But the best part is that there is NO SUGAR and NO PRESERVATIVES added to this fantastic product.  Just apples, apple cider and spices.  I can't tell you the number of times I have stood at the counter offering a sample to a customer who looks at me askance and insists that we had to have put sugar in it.  "It's just too sweet!" is the refrain I hear over and over.  I swear on my.....my.....well I just swear there is no sugar added.  Nada.  Scouts honor (no I wasn't a scout either...)  Couple of years ago we concocted this recipe for Apple Butter Bread.  We share the recipe every year when apple butter comes available.  I am pleased to share it with you here.  



CASCIO'S APPLE BUTTER BREAD 

1 cup Cascio's Apple Butter  
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

Combine first eight ingredients in medium bowl.  In separate bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients, then fold into apple butter mixture until combined.  Scrape batter into four greased miniature loaf pans or a 9 inch pan.  Bake until firm and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Approx. 30 minutes.  Let stand for a few minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool.  

Note:  I have made these into muffins and they make wonderful apple butter muffins.  Great for breakfast!

Enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of Cascio's Fruit Market

No comments:

Post a Comment