Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Man does not live by bread alone." Matthew 4:4 (But I think I could give it a try!)


I know that Jesus told the disciples, "Man does not live by bread alone," and I know for a fact he wasn't talking about ciabatta bread, but I have to go in confession mode here (since we are being biblical) and admit that if I could live by bread alone I would be extremely happy.  I don't even ask my mom to bake me my favorite birthday cake, I ask for her homemade clover leaf rolls or as we like to call them "three piece rolls."  Give me bread, lots of butter and I am in hog heaven.  No low carb diet for this girl.  I could live for a very long time on really good bread.  That is one of the reasons I get so excited for Monday and Thursday each week at Cascio's.  Don brings in outstanding fresh baked bread from The BreadWorks in Pittsburgh.  The BreadWorks is well known.  Here is what they say on their own website:  


BreadWorkS, a Pittsburgh specialty bakery located on the city's North Side, creates more than 60 varieties of artisan bread each day - some 70 percent made from just basic four ingredients. Yet BreadWorkS bread is famous throughout Pittsburgh for its unique flavor and variety. Don Walsh, lead baker and one of four operating partners at BreadWorkS, relies on old-world baking techniques and the natural flavor of different flours and grains to create the broad assortment of delectable breads that have earned BreadWorkS a renowned following.




We don't carry all sixty varieties that they offer but we do carry a very nice selection of rolls, breads, and baguettes.  Many are still warm when they are loaded on our truck and begin their trek to Somerset.  The phone starts to ring about 10 a.m. with callers asking "is the bread there yet?" and the girls who help unload it and get it bagged and ready for sale in our store have been witness to more then one shoving match between customers for the last loaf of Raisin Walnut.  If I had to pick a favorite among out customers it would probably be the  ciabatta, I would guess that is our number one selling bread.  Many customers have standing orders and ask us to save them bread each week as so much of it sells very quickly.  




Personally I like the Rustic Italian and I adore the par baked rolls.  They remind me of my mom's three piece rolls and make a excellent addition to any meal.  I mean really, when isn't hot bread fresh from the oven a great idea?

If you have never taken the time to stop and try the BreadWorks bread, then what are you waiting for?  It is probably one of the most exciting items we carry each week!  Outstanding! Remember, Monday and Thursdays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment