Friday, October 14, 2011

Something Fishy



I personally am a big fan of the Stonewall Kitchen line of products that we proudly sell.  We have stocked Stonewall Kitchens for at least ten years and over that time I have seen the product line absolutely improve.  The packaging is appealing and while we all know that many terrible products come in slick packages, this isn't the case with Stonewall Kitchens.  


I allow Diane Weimer who works for us pretty much pick and choose which Stonewall products she thinks we should carry and I add very little commentary to what products she stocks.  This seafood rub would be an excellent example of Diane adding a product to our inventory that I had no opinion on prior to it's landing on our shelves.  


When I saw the product I was honestly a bit suspect.  My first response was to be wary as I thought it was a bit expensive for a rub in a tin can.  The product retails at $5.25.  Now this is the perfect spot for me to tell you that in most specialty food stores this product would sell for approximately 8.00.  It is customary in shops like our to "keystone" or double the price of any product that comes in.  But we don't do that.  We never have.  This is probably why I don't drive a Porsche.  But we have never felt it was appropriate to charge that much money for a food product.  In the past this has created a bit of havoc for us with the purveyors of the products.  But we have stuck to our pricing model and it has worked out in the long run.  

I initially brought home a can of this seafood rub one evening when I brought home some salmon for dinner.  Now we all have heard how healthy salmon is for us, and we stock a wonderful salmon.  Don and I try to eat salmon at least once a week.  Our favorite meal is salmon, fresh spinach salad and a dish of fresh berries with just a spritz of whipped cream.  That meal can be made very quickly, tastes great and is about as healthy as they come.  I decided to try the seafood rub.  Initially I opened the package  and put it in one of my own airtight containers.  I was instantly pleased with how much product was actually in the can and began to feel more comfortable with the cost of the product.  Then I actually rubbed some on my salmon!  A bit of olive oil in a skillet, rubbed some on both sides of my salmon, and cooked the salmon in the time it took me to plate out my spinach salad (I should mention here that we make fresh spinach salads at the store so all I had to do was put it on the plate!) and slice up some fresh strawberries the salmon was cooked and ready.

At this point I was in love with the seafood rub!  It is delicious.  For the past 2 months I have exclusively used it every time I have made salmon.  The package says you can use it on many other types of fish and I can honestly say I have not tried that.  But I can wholeheartedly tell you I think it is perfect for salmon.


Try it, you'll like it! Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment